Do it Yourself Sump Pumps An Expensive Pain in the Back

So you want to install a sump pump yourself? Fantastic! You'll be saving a lot of money! At least, for the first month or two! But before you decide to take this route, consider the chore you're about to take on.

Selecting the Best Sump Pump Before you install your sump pump, you'll need to decide if you want a cast iron sump pump or a plastic one. Balance out whether or not the money saved on a plastic pump is worth the risk of a flooded basement. A variety of sump pumps are available, and whether you decide on a submersible, water-powered, floor sucker, or pedastal/stand sump pump for your basement and which brand name you choose will decide whether or not your basement floods.

Sump Pump Options No sump pump is an island. There are numerous options that can make or break the sump pump installation. The size of the sump pump must fit the job- a pump that's too large or too small (and is overwhelmed) for the work is going to fail to keep the basement dry. When sump pumps are too large, they remove water faster than it fills the sump pit, causing them to turn on and off repeatedly and shortening their life. Additionally, your sump pump pit must be large enough for the pump or it will short cycle, or run continuously, which can also potentially shorten its life. Other sump pump installation questions include the following:

1. How will I keep my sump pump from clogging on the bottom of the sump pit?
2. How will I know where the lowest part of the basement is so I can install my pump there?
3. What will I do if my basement has two low spots?
4. How will I know if my sump pump faibls?
5. Who do I call for help if my sump pump fails?
6. How will I know if my sump pump isn't strong enough to keep up with a heavy storm?

Technorati Tags: